December 2018 Meeting Minutes
Livonia Save Our Youth Coalition
General Meeting Minutes
December 5, 2018
attendance: Max Christie, Jerry Kwas,
Bob Douville, John Grzebik, Josh Griffith, Diane Montes, Golfo Wernette, Kaleen
Snowden, Mary Olex, Nancy Radzwion, Tom Venn, Meg Venn
LSOY Staff: Karen Bonanno, Shari Davidek
Approve Meeting Minutes – Bob D. made the motion to approve the minutes. Diane M. seconded the motion. Unanimously approved.
Recreational Marijuana Legalization – Marijuana officially becomes legal (the right to carry) in Michigan on Thursday, December 6th. It is still not legal to purchase at this point. Max C. told the group that starting Monday, December 10th, possession of marijuana by a person under 21 will not be a felony charge. It will be regarded as a civil infraction and they are issued a ticket. There are still many questions surrounding legalization, selling, purchasing and possession.
- A list of the 150+ 2017/2018 prevention events the coalition participated in was distributed.
- Goals for 2019: to increase funding through donations; to utilize social media more effectively; establish prevention events for younger students.
- DWMHA initiatives; harm reduction; Narcan, Fentanyl strips, youth training
Updates – Old Business
- November 12- Livonia Save Our Youth Board of Directors meeting
- November 13 – St. Mary Mercy Recipient Rights Advisory Committee
- November 16 – Detroit Wayne Oakland Tobacco-Free Coalition
- November 27 – Livonia Marketing Meeting
- Addiction: What You Need to Know and What You Can Do – Participation is up right now: there were 37 people in attendance in November
- Run 2 Save Our Youth 2019 – REGISTRATION IS OPEN! There is a new online registration website – www.raceentry.com. Sponsor letters will be going out by the end of December.
- LSOY sponsored the “What December Means to Me” contest. The winners received their prizes at the Livonia Parade and Tree Lighting.
- December 4 – The LSOY tree is decorated for Deck the Rec at the Kirksey Recreation Center and voting on Facebook has begun!
- December 3 – Darlene Owens from DWMHA came to provide training the Livonia CERTS.
- December 7 – The Livonia YMCA (Brian Wolverton) is meeting with Karen and she will become a board member!
- January 24 – Narcan training for LPD reserve officers
- January 25 – The CDS Foundation Wild Game Dinner. LSOY will have a resource table at the event.
- NW Wayne County FAN (Families Against Narcotics) holds a public forum the first Monday of every month from 6:30 – 8:30 pm. The location has changed to Summit on the Park at 46000 Summit Parkway in Canton.
- MI State Police has a service called The Angel Program where if someone comes in seeking treatment between 8 am -4 pm Monday – Friday (can’t have warrants or be a sex offender) a volunteer will be called and the person will be assisted in finding help for their addiction.
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) will host a holiday cookie exchange and remembrance tree lighting on December 14, 4 – 6 pm at 1739 Big Beaver Rd. in Troy. Bring your favorite cookies to share. RSVP to email@example.com.
Wednesday January 9, 2019 (second Wednesday)
9 – 11 am
2019 Meeting Schedule
Jan 9 9-11 am
Feb 6 6 – 8 pm
Mar 6 9 – 11 am
Apr 3 6 – 8 pm
May 1 9 – 11 am
June 5 6 – 8 pm
July no meeting
Aug 7 6 – 8 pm
Sept 4 9 – 11 am
Oct 2 6 – 8 pm
Nov 6 9 – 11 am
Dec 4 6 – 8 pm