April 2019 Meeting Minutes
Livonia Save Our Youth Coalition
General Meeting Minutes
April 3, 2019
attendance: Marty Heator, Matina Fabian,
Kristina Simon, Diane Montes, Mary Schifano, Max Christie, Golfo Wernette,
Michaeline Raczka, Kate Shishkovsky, Nancy Radzwion, John Grzebik, Kenya Harper
LSOY Staff: Karen Bonanno, Shari Davidek
Approve Meeting Minutes – Golfo made the motion to approve the minutes. Matina seconded the motion. Unanimously approved.
- The annual site visit by Detroit Wayne Mental Health Authority was March 15.
- The website the donation link is up and running! www.livoniasaveouryouth.org
- For Amazon shoppers; you can choose a charity to support if you sign on under https://smile.amazon.com. LSOY is listed as Livonia Save Our Youth Task Force. A percentage of your order goes to the charity of your choice.
- There was discussion regarding reducing the meeting time to 1.5 hours and to change the community reporting to the beginning of the meeting.
Updates – Old Business
- March 11 – Karen spoke with the Youth Ministry group regarding current drug trends.
- March 12 – Karen attended the Wayne County Coalition Meeting
- March 13 – Schoolcraft College has a Mocktail Party every year in March. LSOY had a resource table for the students and John Grzebik was gracious enough to volunteer to man the table.
- March 13 – State of the City address. Shari attended.
- March 20 – Shari attended the monthly Chamber Ambassador meeting and was able to promote the run.
- March 20 – The Garden City Coalition held a forum on Recreational Marijuana and the Impact on Youth. Shari attended.
- March 21 – DWMHA Provider Meeting, Karen attended.
- March 22 – Karen attended the Livonia Chamber of Commerce Board of Director’s meeting.
- March 25 – Livonia Y Board of Advisors meeting, Karen attended.
- March 27 – Karen went to WXYZ TV to record a PSA on impact of recreational marijuana on youth. Will air sometime in April.
- March 27 – College Cannabis Use webinar, Shari attended and the PowerPoint presentation is available if anyone would like it.
- March 28 – CDS Foundation dinner, Karen and Shari attended to accept the donation from the Wild Game Dinner. They donated $3,000 to the coalition!
- Addiction: What You Need to Know and What You Can Do – First three Tuesdays of each month during the school year (September through May) from 7 – 8:30 PM at St Mary Mercy Livonia. Flyer with information is available. March attendance was 13.
- Narcan Training – Karen is a Narcan trainer and available to hold group trainings. email@example.com or 734-338-9580.
- Run 2 Save Our Youth – Saturday, June 1, 2019. Registration is open and ongoing through www.raceentry.com as well as mail-in or drop-off. There are 11 sponsors totaling $2,550, several raffle donations and six non-profits have signed up to have tables under the sponsor tent. There are 14 runners and 12 walkers registered, as well as two Kids’ Fun Run participants. There are three teams and three city employees.
- April 4 – Stand Up, Stand Out, Stay Sober at the Garden City Family Resource Center 4-6:30, 31735 Maplewood, Garden City
- April 8 – Parent presentation on current drug trends
- April 8 – Livonia Rotary Club lunchtime discussion, current drug trends
- April 9 – Wayne County Coalition Meeting
- April 10 – Forum for Employers in a World of Recreational Marijuana, Livonia Embassy Suites, 11:30 – 1 pm, Livonia Chamber sponsored
- April 10 – Legal Marijuana in Michigan: What You Need to Know, Northeast Guidance Center, 2900 Conner in Detroit
- April 11 – New School High, grades 9 & 10, Current Drug Trends presentation
- April 12 – Resource table at Boys & Girls Club of SE Michigan Resource Fair, Highland Park, 8 am – 1 pm
- April 14 – Spring Open House, Livonia Rec Center, 12 – 4, resource table
- April 14 – Opioid Forum, Livonia Democratic Club, 2 – 4 pm at Livonia Stevenson PAC, resource table
- April 22 – Detroit School of Arts Health & Fitness Fair, 2:30 – 4 pm, resource table
- April 23 – Passport to Safety Planning Session, Livonia Police Department, 9 am – 10:30 am
- April 24 – Movie and Screening and Panel Discussion, Screenagers: Growing Up in the Digital Age, Livonia Stevenson PAC, 6:30 pm, hosted by Livonia Public Schools
- April 30 – Advocacy Day 2019, Binsfield Senate Office Building, Lansing 9 am – 3 pm, hosted by Michigan Prevention Association