November 2018 Meeting Minutes
Livonia Save Our Youth Coalition
General Meeting Minutes
November 7, 2018
attendance: Jerry Kwas, Meg Venn, Bob Douville, Edwin Hojilla, Kim Fix
LSOY Staff: Karen Bonanno, Shari Davidek
- Coalition history and mission, introductions
Meeting Minutes: The last meeting minutes were from August 2018 and were approved at the September General Meeting and Narcan training. No General Meeting in October – Marijuana Town Hall on October 3rd took its place
- Kim Fix – Huron ClintonMetroparks – Kim presented information about the 13 Metroparks in the five county surrounding area.
- Edwin Hojilla – Resident Physician, St. Mary Mercy Livonia – The director of Family Medicine at St Mary would like to do more Community Outreach and Edwin is spearheading that initiative. He would like to work with us so that he can add to the coalition as far as providing resources regarding health and safety issues.
- Recreational marijuana ballot proposal 18-1 passed in the state of Michigan On November 6, 2018. Karen discussed what the impact of this legislation could mean.
Updates – Old Business
- September 5th, Narcan training was held at City Hall by DWMHA. There were 40 people and each person received a certificate and a Narcan kit.
- The Fall events included resource tables at middle school and high school open houses, two high school safe and sober Homecoming tailgates, School Daze at Schoolcraft College, open house at Kirksey Rec Center, Webster Trunk or Treat. Excellent turnout for every event. Karen, Shari and Juliana attended, as well as several dedicated volunteers who helped on the nights there were multiple events.
- Karen and Shari attended two opioid town halls in Redford Township on September 21st and 25th. Hosted by Judge Karen Khalil.
- Karen spoke to groups of middle school students at Manufacturing Day which was held at Alpha USA on October 5th.
- There was an Opioid Solutions Round Table discussion with the deputy Secretary of Health and Human Services on October 15th.
- Karen spoke to another group of young people at Young Inventors Day at Alpha USA on November 2nd regarding having a plan if a young person is faced with a drug or alcohol situation.
- There were multiple marijuana education and awareness events in September and October: Community Action Plan meeting on September 20, Risks to Youth Town Hall, Livonia City Council Committee regarding marijuana, LPD Town Hall hosted by Chief Curtis Caid, NW Wayne County FAN Pro & Con Town Hall, the electronic billboard on I-275 & Plymouth Road, Livonia Kiwanis Early Risers, Healthy Partners, WXYZ Town Hall, Casual Chat Sessions at the Livonia Chamber Conference Rooms, Clarenceville Parent Meeting, Facebook posts and email blasts.
- Addiction: What You Need to Know and What You Can Do – The three times per month meetings resumed on September 4th. The attendance had been lower (2-5 attendees) but the November 6th meeting had 16 people! Many were young people who were mandated by the court to attend.
- Dec the Rec, December is Special to Me Contest, Livonia Holiday Parade are all quickly coming up in December.
- Run 2 Save Our Youth will take place on June 2nd, 2019. There is a new online registration company that will help us market the run and possibly increase donations.
- Continued collaborations with several community groups.