March 2016 Meeting Minutes
March 2, 2016, 9-11 a.m.
New or returning guests:
- Kim Hopper, Garden City Coalition. Her goal in attending meeting to reach out as neighbors, collaborate and learn from each other. Kim is new to prevention field and has been in recovery for seven years.
- Pam Plaskie,Alanon/Alateen of Greater Detroit has been at LSOY meetings in the past but it’s been at least one year. She stated that there is a need for more Alateen meetings – ages 12-20. Pam is also in recovery.
- Grace Modes, assistant Wayne County Commissioner Terry Marecki, and attends LSOY meetings when her schedule allows.
February meeting minutes reviewed, Jerry Kwas moved to approve minutes, Marseille Arbuckle seconded – minutes approved unanimously.
Recognizing Recovery: The Anonymous People movie, which documents the recovery movement, is available on Netflix. The recovery movement will be noted at each monthly LSOY meeting. Being open about recovery was commended.
- A new LSOY bank account was opened last year at Community Choice Credit Union. Board members Jerry Kwas and Bob Douville will be added to the account as signers, then the Zeal account will be closed. The issue with Zeal Credit Union, the previous bank, was regarding how checks to LSOY be endorsed for deposit.
- Board treasurer Bob Douville has been working with the newly hired bookkeeper managing the paperwork for 501(c)3 reinstatement.
- Karen will attend a meeting with Steve Archibald, Assistant Superintendent for Livonia Public Schools on March 9. The School Assistance Providers will also be present. Topics for discussion: encourage students facing substance abuse suspension to attend the Community Forum, discuss how to provide substance abuse educational pieces in schools, and get advice regarding how to include Parents Who Host information in high school graduation packets.
- The prescription med return drop box has been removed from the Livonia Police Department. The program lacked organization and follow up, and large amounts of meds were being dropped off often, which would fill the box up regularly. Karen B. will work with assistant chief Ben McDermott on reinstating the program with specific instructions, guidelines and follow up. Discussion focused on contacting coalitions with current med-box programs, as well as seek information from SAMHSA and CADCA.
- 05Feb – CDS Foundation Volunteer Appreciation Dinner – LSOY presented with $1000 donation from the CDS Foundation.
- 05Feb – #Enough viewing at Madonna University. Karen B. attended; film created by Madonna students, storyline (fictional but based on true story) highlights a local girl trapped into the world of human trafficking.
- 10Feb – Prescription Drug Abuse & Heroin Overdose Summit. Attended by Karen B., & board members Jerry K., Bob D., & Mark M. was an event speaker. Initially frustrating to hear staggering figures, but not receive a “tool kit” to raise awareness in our community. However, the conference was valuable due to information presented.
- 20Feb – Michigan Prevention Opiate Alliance is a newly formed group to plan a rally to Lansing on June 2. Bailey Collins a new LSOY volunteer and young person in recovery from heroin, is representing LSOY on the planning committee for this event
- Community Forum – Substance Abuse, what you need to know and what you can do. Collaboration with Growth Works and St. Mary Mercy Livonia. Average attendance – nine per week. 35th District Court will use for new arrests, which will necessitate extending meetings into summer.
- 04June – Run 2 Save Our Youth 2016. Runners, sponsors needed.
- 09Mar – 6:00-730, first Marijuana Community Awareness planning session – coalition members invited.
- Faith Community Outreach, three-member committee for now – has not yet been able to meet.
- 3-6March – Greater Farmington Film Festival: The Hunting Ground regarding rape/violence against young women, showing Friday evening; Prescription Thugs – regarding the addiction to prescription meds from a pharmaceutical perspective.
- 08Mar – Plymouth A.M. Rotary meeting – Karen B. will attend this presentation which includes Trauma Training to consider inviting presenter to be a part of LSOY.
- 10Mar – Mocktail Party, Schoolcraft College, 11-2, LSOY will have resource table with volunteers. Todd Stowell, Student Activities Director is vested in substance abuse prevention events.
- 16Mar – The Silent Killer: From Your Medicine Cabinet to Heroin, 5:30-9:00, free community awareness event at Birmingham Groves High School.
- 21/22Mar – St. Aidan’s Family Ed series for 7th & 8th grade religion students and their parents. Karen B. and David Schuit will address the group about current trends regarding substance abuse.
- 05Apr – April is Alcohol Awareness Month; Madonna University will show The Anonymous People with panel discussion to follow.
- Jerry Kwas informed the group of launching Community Outreach Psychiatric Emergencies (COPE) to prevent hospitalizations, Wayne county; a mobile program
- Marseille Arbuckle: DWMHA Faith-Based committee meeting 29Feb; Underage Drinking Town Hall meeting in April; fundraiser April 29, 7-10 p.m. An Evening of Jazz & Soul – to benefit the Center for Urban Youth and Family Development.
- Pam Plaskie will attend the March Round-Up an annual AA convention.
- Garden city Coalition will facilitate substance abuse education in the high school health class; Kick Butts day in March.
Next Meeting is Wednesday, April 6, 2016, 6-8 p.m.
Meeting minutes scribe Nancy Donahue, 3/2/16
Submitted by Karen Bonanno, 4/3/16