August 2015 Meeting Minutes
In attendance: Karen Bonanno, Susan Nicholas, Thomas Venn, Meg Venn, Kaleen Snowdon, David Schuit, Mary Olex, Kim Ludwiczak, Amanda Geraci, John Grzebik, Jerry Kwas, Nancy Rodzwion, Wayne McDowell, Gloria, Gonek, Richard Azstalos, Rich Gibson
- Karen attended CADCA Training for four days in Indianapolis. This was paid for by the Livonia Police Dept. She found it very beneficial and learned a lot.
- Introduced the board members- including our new member Kaleen Snowdon. Board includes: Jerry Kwas, Bob Douville, Caryn Epps, Diane Montes, Jason Swartz, John Tait, Mark Menestrina, Mary Olex, and Susan Nicholas.
- There will be a board planning session on August 17th & 18th. Grant needs to be gone over. Need to decide whether to pursue DFC grant of $125,000. By-laws need to be gone over.
- Run to Save Our Youth went very well. Had 275 runners/walkers. A spreadsheet was given out with the financials. We will start planning the next run in September.
- Passport to Safety was held in June. Kaleen & David handled the event for LSOY. They gave out poison control stickers and had activities relating to prescription drugs and smoking.
- Community Forum starts September 1st. It will run the first 3 Tuesdays of every month. It will be held at St. Mary’s. A draft of a flyer was included. Will send out blasts as soon as flyer is finalized. The goal is to lighten up the stigma and offer anonymity. Brian from Growth Works will be leading each session and will do all programming. Volunteers are needed to help.
New Business & Upcoming Activities
- There will be a Faith Based Initiative: Wellness Beyond the Walls offered on August 19th or 20th. This is being organized by the Authority. A flyer was included.
- Tino’s Picnic is August 23rd– flyer was included. LSOY runs some children’s games and has an information table. Two volunteers are needed for this.
- High School Open Houses are September 16th. A sign-up sheet for volunteers was passed around. Sign-up for the homecoming tailgate parties will be at the September meeting.
- LSOY’s Fall Parent Newsletter went out to all the schools. A copy was included in our packet.
- An information card was given out with information on St. Mary Mercy’s Run for cancer to be held on September 13th.
- Schoolcraft’s School Daze event will be held on September 22nd & 23rd. Volunteers are needed to host a table there. A flyer was given with more information.
- Karen talked about how recovery should be addressed at every meeting. She shared a sight – Shatter Proof-Stronger Than Addiction. This site includes parents who have lost a child to addiction. A flyer was given with more information.
- Karen shared an article – Kids & Tobacco Use.
- Gloria shared information on a group she belongs to – Citizens For Peace.
- Nancy talked about a walk for MADD being held on August 22nd at the zoo.
- Sue shared information on a group – Circle Of Prayer.
- Sue also shared about Hope 4 Healing Hearts which is a support group for families of those incarcerated. They meet in Westland. Information card was given out. They may come speak at one of our meetings.