August 2018 Meeting Minutes
Livonia Save Our Youth Coalition
General Meeting Minutes
August 1, 2018
In attendance: Jerry Kwas, Josh Griffith, Meg Venn, Ron Warra, Karen Smith, John Grzebik, Caryn Epps, Mary Olex, Amanda Geraci, Katie Long, Anne Lise, Kenya Harper-Black, Denise Pirinello
LSOY Staff: Karen Bonanno, Shari Davidek
- Safety instructions, introductions, meeting minutes review
Meeting Minutes: Meg Venn made the motion to approve the minutes from June. Jerry Kwas seconded the motion. Passed unanimously.
- The impaneling process is complete and has been approved! That makes us a legitimate coalition and are able to receive government funds.
- Quality improvement is an ongoing process. Procedures have been written and will be put in place in case there are new people working for the coalition in the future.
- DWMHA annual site visit is scheduled for August 27th. It takes three to four hours to complete. After it is finished, a list is given to the coalition of items to improve on or anything that is missing, such as documents, licenses or trainings.
Updates – Old Business
- June 2nd – Run 2 Save Our Youth 2018 report – Revenue from the run was approximately $7,500. Our numbers have dwindled the past few years and this year there were about 60 more participants than last year. A three-question survey was sent out via Vertical Response to all race participants (runners and volunteers) and responses are coming in. Those comments will be taken into consideration when planning for the 2019 run.
- Run 2 Save Our Youth 2019 planning – Race Entry is a new online race registration company that contacted LSOY. We may be switching to them from Active.com. It will be more efficient as far as keeping track of registrations, it will be easier for participants to register and there are built-in marketing tools to help increase sales. There will also be several ways to do some extra fundraising.
- June 9th – Passport to Safety – Shari and Juliana worked at the poisoning tent for the entire event. There were about 800 people who came through despite some rainy weather toward the end. The kids seemed to enjoy the presentation and learned a few things! We passed out coloring books about the harmful effects of smoking, crayons, LSOY tattoos, coloring pages and pens.
- June 11th – Livonia Chamber of Commerce Scholarship Committee – Karen was part of the committee.
- June 25th – Metropark Collaboration
- July 10th – Growth Works vaping presentation to at-risk teens – Karen presented to this group.
- July 18th – Marijuana Awareness Town Halls – hosted by DWMHA, there were four town halls regarding recreational marijuana on the November ballot. There were several speakers on each panel to provide knowledge regarding marijuana.
- July 19th – DWMHA Faith Based Conference – This is an annual conference. Karen had the idea to coordinate a group of faith-based groups in Livonia (Livonia Cares, Healthy Partners) to see if they could collaborate and have a presentation at the conference regarding drug use, mental health, etc.
- August 15th – Livonia Marketing Selfie Day – on the steps of City Hall from 1 – 3 pm. Community event, all are welcome.
- Addiction: What You Need to Know and What You Can Do – Will resume the regular schedule of the first three Tuesdays of each month from 7 – 8:30 at St. Mary Mercy Livonia, South Entrance, take elevators up to the fourth floor, classroom 11 is to the left at the end of the hallway. Will be working with the courts to have parolees attend these sessions. Kelly Younce will be helping with this. There are other avenues we will be exploring to increase participation.
- Marijuana Ballot Proposal
- A marijuana attitudes and perceptions survey was created by Wayne State University and shared with our coalition. A link was emailed out via Vertical Response. Will be sent out once more to increase participation.
- The Livonia Chamber created an analysis of Michigan Recreational Marijuana Proposal. It is included in the packet. The Chamber is remaining neutral on the issue. The proposal is informational only.
- Recreational marijuana will be a Livonia City Council Meeting agenda item on August 27th.
- Next meeting of the Marijuana Awareness Committee TBA. Will draft a statement and organize awareness and education.
- August 6th – Branding update. Will be launching the new logo ASAP.
- August 6th – FAN NW Wayne County August Forum – the topic is grief.
- August 9th – Wayne County Back to School event – LSOY will have a resource table.
- August 31st – International Overdose Awareness Day FAN NW Wayne County 6 – 8 pm Heritage Park Pavilions 1 & 2, Canton.
- Sept 5th – LSOY General Meeting – will be changed to an evening meeting regarding opioid awareness, vaping, underage drinking and Narcan training. Advance registration will be needed so we can find a venue to hold the amount of people who respond.
- September – Fall programming, school open houses, meet the team nights, safe and sober tailgates.
- Sept 19/20 – School Daze at Schoolcraft College. 10 – 2 pm each day.
- Oct 3rd – LSOY General Meeting – Community Town Hall – Impact of Gateway Drugs on youth. Venue TBA.
- Crisis text line – text “hello” to 741741 and speak to a crisis counselor anonymously.
- Amanda from Madonna has several upcoming events. Flyer distributed.