December 2017 Meeting Minutes
Livonia Save Our Youth Coalition
General Meeting Minutes
December 6, 2017
In attendance: Golfo Tzilos Wernette, Maria Gosur, Meg Venn, Tom Venn, Diane Montes, Mary Olex, John Grzebik, Jaki Jarois, Dr. Linda Cox, Linda Gowans
LSOY Staff: Karen Bonanno, Shari Davidek
- Diane made the motion to approve the minutes from the October 2017 General Meeting. Jaki seconded the motion. The minutes were unanimously approved.
- Branding update – Maria updated us on her progress. She showed us the new logo, talked about restructuring the content and layout, she is creating templates for flyers, letterhead, etc., told us about the “impression piece” which is something we hand out that talks about what we do, social media changes and e-marketing, she also suggested we need more photos (events, meetings, etc.) We will research Hoot Suite and hashtags.
- 2017 Activities and Affiliations List – Karen made a list for everyone to see what groups we have connected with throughout 2017.
- 2018 General Meeting Dates – We normally meet the first Wednesday of the month, rotating every other month the 9 – 11 AM and 6 – 8 PM times. The January and April 2018 meetings will not follow this pattern because of the school breaks. The January meeting will be the 10th from 9 – 11 AM. The April meeting will be the 11th from 6 – 8 PM.
Updates – Old Business
- Nov 16 – SMML Community Health Needs Assessment Survey results – held at Thurston High School. Karen and Shari attended and participated in small group conversations about how to address the needs identified. Nutrition, physical activity and access to care as well as substance abuse and mental health were recognized as the greatest needs.
- Nov 17 – Opioids. What are they? Stevenson High School for the 10th grade health class students. This was a Career Center project with a student from Stevenson and from Churchill. Karen used our PowerPoint presentation, there was a speaker from FAN and a Livonia Police Resource Officer answered questions about what is happening on school grounds. We had very positive feedback!
- Nov 17 – Resource Table, Fall Marketplace, Laurel Park Mall, Livonia Chamber of Commerce – made several good connections and passed out a lot of resources!
- Nov 28 – Opioid. What is it? Karen spoke to the Kiwanis Early Risers Club.
- Nov 29 – Livonia Public Schools, health curriculum department meeting. Karen and Shari met with this group so they could get info and resources on vaping, e-cigarettes and opioids to include in future curriculum.
- Dec 1 – Regional Collaborative Meeting, Mobilizing Michigan. Shari attended and learned about how other counties and coalitions are marketing their marijuana awareness campaigns in regards to the upcoming ballot issue in November 2018.
- Dec 4 – Karen and Shari decorated our tree at the Rec Center for Dec the Rec! PLEASE go online to the Rec Center Facebook page and vote for the LSOY tree!
- Community Addiction Series – ADDICTION: What you need to know and what you can do. First three Tuesdays of the month, September – May. Brian Spitsbergen is the facilitator. Karen, Shari and Juliana are in attendance each week, either one or all of us!
- Marijuana Awareness Campaign Committee – ongoing planning for ballot initiative awareness for November 2018. Looking for more members who would like to join us. We would like to create more community awareness. Our next meeting is scheduled for January 15th 6 – 7:30 PM.
- Dec 9 & 10th – Rx disposal at Livonia Police Department. Flyer included.
- Jan & Feb – Smoking cessation at Henry Ford Health System. Flyer included.
- Jan 26 – Wild Game Dinner at Laurel Manor, run by the CDS Foundation, 25th The Del Signore family has donated generously to our coalition. Flyer included.
- John G. suggested a two-three year plan to sponsor the Spree which will save us money. He also would like us to continue working with the Greenleaf Commission as well.