February 2017 Meeting Minutes
Livonia Save Our Youth Coalition
General Meeting Minutes
February 1, 2017
In attendance: Jerry Kwas, Ron Warra, Karla Truxall, John Grzebik, Anthony Bracey
LSOY Staff: Karen Bonanno, Shari Davidek
Should be noted that it is snowing tonight, so this could be the reason for the low turnout.
Jerry Kwas made the motion to approve the minutes from the January 2017 General Meeting. Ron Warra seconded the motion. The minutes were unanimously approved.
- 501c3 status update – the IRS has our completed documents and we are waiting to hear if they were approved.
- The Detroit Wayne Mental Health Authority site visit has been rescheduled. Impaneling
- The state licensing inspector (Jim Hoyt) stopped by for a surprise audit in December. We had everything in order and passed the inspection. We need to be audited every three years, randomly. Thankfully Karen and Shari were both in the office when he came by!
Updates – Old Business
- Healthy Partners meeting was attended by Shari. A representative from Catholic Charities spoke to the group. Karen went to the Passport to Safety meeting and things are on track for June 17th. Karen and Shari both attended a session on Human Trafficking in Livonia City Hall (Note: all three of the preceding events were in the same morning!) Karen, Shari and John also went to a Livonia Communications Planning meeting on January 19th hosted by Bill Joyner. Several groups in Livonia got together to share resources and ideas about how to better communicate and help each other. Bill has a Facebook page called Friday Musings that is well worth checking out.
- Community Forum – Substance Abuse: What you need to know and what you can do: Brian Spitsbergen from Growth Works is the facilitator. We have a classroom donated by St. Mary Mercy Hospital and the class takes place the first three Tuesdays of the month from 7 pm – 8:30 pm on the fourth floor in classroom 11 (use South parking lot.) We would like to market this a bit more to encourage participants. We have drafted a press release to send out. Karen is also planning to update the flyer. We want to focus on addiction…we want to say it like it is!
- Marijuana Community Awareness – Our goal is to educate the community on marijuana. There is a flyer in the packet about a meeting regarding regulating medical marijuana facilities. It encourages planning commissioners, local elected government officials, administrators and municipal attorneys. Legalizing recreational; marijuana is slated to be on the ballot in November 2018. Several things are planned to raise awareness within the next two years.
- Quarterly newsletter – effective immediately, we are switching to a quarterly newsletter! The next edition will be out next week.
- Our Lady of Victory church will partner with us to bring the community forum to their parishoner community. Date is set for March 22nd. They have had a few drug overdose deaths of young people and are concerned and want to educate parents. Should have about 100 people. Shari is working on a flyer.
- Run 2 Save Our Youth is slated for Saturday, June 10th, 2017.
- com registration is open! There are a handful of people registered already!
- We have our first sponsor! Applied Modern Health Chiropractic in Livonia!
- Karen and Shari have ideas on how to get local businesses involved.
- There are two women’s running groups in Livonia we would like to connect with.
- We want to keep much of the run local…a local band, local bounce house company, etc.
- Pharmacy Bag Advertising
- We get 24,000 bags divided between two Kroger stores (Five and Merriman and Haggerty and Six Mile) and last about eight months. We have a graphic artist who will design the ad for us. We will add coalition information and our logo. We would like to add a link to the medication drop boxes in the area, but we are aren’t sure yet what is happening with the box in Livonia.
- Medication Drop Box Meeting
- There was a meeting with Karen, Ron and two representative from St Mary Hospital regarding the medication drop box at the police station. They will reconvene in March after doing more research.
- Franklin High School projects
- Claire Walker (teacher and EMU graduate student) is working on a prevention project and has developed posters for the girl’s and boy’s bathrooms regarding underage drinking, healthy relationships, etc. They will change every month. In May, the students will take a survey to find out how the posters affected their decisions. As a Coalition, we would like to implement these in all of the Livonia high schools.
- The SLS (Students Leading Students) is having a contest for Drug Awareness Month. Students were asked to choose their favorite creative mode to promote drug awareness. The photography teacher used this as a project. The photos are very graphic and powerful. Students and teachers will vote and winners will receive gift cards provided by LSOY. We are hoping to borrow some of these photos at the City Hall art gallery and to take these “on the road” to promote awareness.
- The principal (Dan Willenborg) will be including our brochures “Social Hosting” and “Prom and Graduation” for parents and students with the graduation and prom info that goes out.
- Upcoming Events
- February 2nd – Town Hall Meeting at WCCC in Taylor, 6-8 pm
- February 3rd – Livonia Chamber Crisscross Networking Lunch 11-12:30 PM at O’Malley’s in Livonia
- February 13th – Blessings in a Backpack fundraiser, Granite City in Northville
- February 25th – Community Education Series, Hegira 6-8:30 Westland Library
- Resources and Enclosures in Meeting Packet
- Meeting minutes
- MSU flyer for medical marijuana facilities
- Run 2 Save Our Youth documents
- Flyer created by Claire Walker, teacher at Franklin, for her bathroom poster campaign
- Flyer for Town Hall Meeting on Heroin and prescription drug use (WC2 February 2nd)
- Blessings in a Backpack fundraiser flyer
- Hegira Community Education series flyer
- Newspaper article regarding “Hope, Not Handcuffs.”
- Statement from Dearborn and Orthopedics and Sports Medicine regarding prescription meds
- Information about a new street drug called “glitter.”
- Human trafficking sticker, brochures and other information
- Community Reporting
- Costco and McKessen are in legal trouble for unlawful drug practices (article sent by Bob Douville)
- Tony is working on a tutoring program. Looking for high school student volunteers to tutor 5th through 8th We can help get the word out via social media. He would like to do one day a month at the Livonia library and this will turn into a summer program.
- Jerry is hoping to get people to come to the Hegira community forums.
- John will be getting Spree agenda to us soon. Also information about LSOY advertising on the shuttle busses.
- Karla has a two-sided flyer card for March for Hope. The goal is to make this an annual event about mental health awareness. She also has a “student comfort kit” with adult coloring books, stuffed animals, crayons, etc. for kids ages 12-18 that come through the ER at St. Mary fighting depression, anxiety, suicidal.
Next Meeting March 1st, 2017
11:00 am – 1 pm
Livonia City Hall Annex Conference Room