February 2019 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
No General Meeting Minutes
Save Our Youth Coalition
Board of Directors
Meeting Minutes – February 11, 2019
- Roll Call
Members present: Jerry Kwas, Kelly Younce, Mark Menestrina, Kaleen Snowden, Caryn McCarthy-Epps and Bob Douville
Coalition Employees: Karen Bonanno, Shari Davidek
- Review and approve minutes from November 2018 meeting
Bob Douville made a motion to approve minutes, Kaleen Snowden seconded the motion. Passed unanimously. Also noted: bonuses for Karen, Shari and Juliana were voted on and unanimously approved by all board members in December 2018.
- Coalition Update
- Naloxone training – Karen was trained by Darlene Owens from DWMHA to train others to administer Naloxone. Karen trained a group of Livonia Police Reserves and CERTS. 110 individuals have been trained by LSOY to date.
- Karen was invited by Brian Wolverton to join the Board of Directors at the Livonia YMCA and she accepted. The first meeting Karen will attend is February 25th.
- There are some Public Service Announcement opportunities at WXYZ (Channel 7.) Karen recorded one back in October regarding underage drinking and was to record one about marijuana today, February 11th, but the recording was postponed.
- Two students from Stevenson High School are assisting Karen and Shari with LSOY PSA’s. They will be doing much of the writing and producing and hopefully Livonia TV (cable) will be working with us on the filming. You Tube and other social media avenues will be utilized.
- Ken Daniels, Red Wings play-by-play announcer, will be speaking at a Chamber of Commerce lunch regarding the death of his son from a heroin overdose. Dan West, Chamber President, asked LSOY to sponsor a table for $1,000, but it would have taken the entire sponsor budget for FY 2018/19. Alpha USA offered to sponsor a table for LSOY, so there are seats available to those who would like to see the presentation.
- Treasurer’s Report
- Bob Douville presented the 1st quarter profit and loss as well as the balance sheet. He will connect with Bridget, the bookkeeper, to go over figures. LSOY has approximately $10,000 in the savings account and $7,000 in the checking account.
- Karen, Shari and Bob will be researching small grant opportunities. Expenses are increasing because the coalition is growing. Will also check with DWMHA to see if the existing grant can be increased.
- Old Business
- Donation link update – A donation “button” will be added to our website and donations can be made through PayPal. Once that is added to the website, it can be added to Facebook.
- Run 2019 update – There are seven sponsors totaling $1,900.00. There are five donations (bottled water, bounce house, raffle prizes) and three non-profits for the vendor tent. There are seven runners signed up on Race Entry, the new online registration website.
- New Business
- Bylaws review – The bylaws were updated and approved in February 2018. Karen will be starting the process to have the name changed from Livonia Save Our Youth Task Force to Livonia Save Our Youth Coalition. Some of the paperwork has been completed. Bob made the motion to change front cover of Policy and Procedure from Livonia Save Our Youth Coalition to Livonia Save Our Youth Task Force. Once the name is legally changed, it will go back to Livonia Save Our Youth Coalition. Mark M. seconded the motion.
- Policy & Procedure Manual – reviewed personnel policies, volunteers and background checks. The manual was approved unanimously after Bob Douville made the motion and Caryn McCarthy-Epps seconded the motion. The manual will remain as is and will be reviewed by each board member with changes to be submitted by February 25, 2019.
- Address Board of Directors Membership – Mary Olex officially resigned from the Board of Directors.
Remaining 2019 Board Meeting Dates:
April 27, 2019
September Budget Meeting (TBA)
November 9, 2019 (location: Livonia Chamber of Commerce conference room)