January 2018 Meeting Minutes
Livonia Save Our Youth Coalition
General Meeting Minutes
January 10, 2018
In attendance: Jerry Kwas, Billy Keppen, Katie Campbell, Kim Trudgeon, Karla Truxell
LSOY Staff: Karen Bonanno, Shari Davidek
- Shari made one change. In the December 2017 minutes, it is stated that the October 2017 minutes were approved. It should say November 2017. Jerry made the motion to approve the minutes, as amended, from the General Meeting. Billy seconded the motion. The minutes were unanimously approved.
- Impaneling process through DWMHA – This procedure is required to maintain our grant. We are still waiting to hear if we are officially impaneled. We have everything submitted that is necessary.
- 2018 General Meeting dates: 1/10, 2/7, 3/7, 4/11, 5/2, 6/6, (no July meeting) 8/1, 9/5, 10/3, 11/7, 12/5 (list is also enclosed.)
Updates – Old Business
- Dec the Rec – This is a contest at the Rec Center where community groups compete at Christmas tree decorating. We had an LSOY that we thought was terrific, but we lost to Tail Wagger’s again! It’s always fun decorating and participating and also raising awareness about our coalition!
- Rx Disposal December 9/10 at Livonia Police Station – Kim had suggestions on places people could dispose of sharps since they are not allowed in the Livonia PD disposal. The FDA also has a “flushables” list and can be found at https://www.fda.gov/downloads/drugs/resourcesforyou/consumers/buyingusingmedicinesafely/ensuringsafeuseofmedicine/safedisposalofmedicines/ucm337803.pdf
- Community Addiction Series – Addiction: What you need to know and what you can do. Attendance has been averaging about five people per session. We will be working on more marketing of this event via email and direct mail. If you know anyone who may be interested in this series, please feel free to share the flyer!
- Marijuana Awareness Campaign Committee – our next meeting is Monday, January 15th from 6 – 7:30 in the Livonia City Hall Annex meeting room.
- Opioids: What are they? Livonia Career Tech Student Project – This is a school year-long project developed by two high school students (Stevenson and Churchill) to create awareness about the dangers of opioids. Karen has been helping them with this…presentations, resource tables, educational materials, marketing.
- Michigan Legislation to Combat Opioid Epidemic – Article included in packet. Brian Calley’s new legislation package.
- myStrength – DWMHA Web/Mobile tool for mental health and strength. Flyer included in packet.
- January 12 – Chamber of Commerce Meeting for new board members. Karen has been elected to the board!
- January 16 – Passport to Safety Planning Meeting
- January 16 – Wild Game Dinner Planning Meeting
- January 23 – Livonia Marketing Meeting – 2-3:30 Hampton Inn, Livonia
- January 26 – Wild Game Dinner, CDS Foundation, Laurel Manor
- June 2 – Run 2 Save Our Youth – Some changes will be made. We plan to focus more on family friendly/kid friendly activities, possibly eliminate the 10K, minimize the awards ceremony and there are several
- other things we will discuss.
- Karla Truxall from SPN Survivors – Handed out March for Hope brochures. Planning meeting for March for Hope and for ways to be involved in the community at the Livonia Chamber on January 17th at 6:30.