January 2019 Meeting Minutes
Livonia Save Our Youth Coalition
General Meeting Minutes
January 9, 2019
attendance: Jerry Kwas, Michael Herbert
(R.N), John Grzebik, Brian Spitsbergen
LSOY Staff: Karen Bonanno, Shari Davidek
Approve Meeting Minutes – John made the motion to approve the minutes. Jerry seconded the motion. Unanimously approved.
- 2017-2018 – There was a total of 151 prevention events!
- 2019 goals – to increase funding through donations (PayPal) to better utilize social media (Juliana is helping greatly with that effort!), establish prevention events geared toward younger students.
- DWMHA initiatives – Harm reduction, Narcan training, fentanyl strips, youth training.
- Karen has been trained as a Narcan Trainer! She will be training the Livonia reserve police officers and CERTS and has been approached by other groups.
Updates – Old Business
- December 5 – Narcan Training for Livonia CERTS
- December 7 – Karen met with the executive director of the Livonia YMCA regarding becoming a board member. She has accepted.
- December 18 – Karen attended a training to become a Narcan Trainer and she has a training session set up already!
- Addiction: What You Need to Know and What You Can Do December attendance was 22 participants. Flyers have been distributed to the Livonia Senior Center, Library and Rec Center. It has been advertised in the Livonia Observer, on the City of Livonia Community page and on our Facebook page as an event.
- Run 2 Save Our Youth, Jun 1, 2019 – REGISTRATION IS OPEN! There is a new online registration website – www.raceentry.com. Sponsor letters and non-profit (vendor) emails have gone out and we are starting to get responses. Emails regarding registration were went to our Vertical Response list as well as all former runners/walkers from 2017 & 2018. No registered participants as of yet.
- National Human Trafficking Awareness Month is this month. Distributed “Look Beneath the Surface” brochures and a National Human Trafficking flyer with phone numbers and resources.
- January 3 – A member of the Democratic Club stopped in and would like to work with us on an opioid panel discussion. She didn’t want to make it a partisan event. The proposed date is March 10th at the library auditorium.
- January 17 – DWMHA Provider Meeting
- January 17 – Planning session to develop high school student PSA’s
- January 24 – Narcan Training for Livonia Police Reserves
- January 25 – Resource Table at Wild Game Dinner, hosted by the CDC Foundation – tickets are available
- January 25 – Detroit Wayne Oakland County Tobacco Coalition Skype meeting
- January 29 – Livonia Marketing Meeting Committee
- January 14 – Washtenaw County FAN Naloxone Training, 648 S. Wagner, Ann Arbor, MI, 7 – 8:30 pm.
- January 16 – Livonia Public Schools screening of movie “Angst: Raising Awareness Around Anxiety” to help support student social-emotional health. Panel discussion afterward. Franklin High School Performing Arts Center 6:30 – 8:30 pm.
- January 17 – Hope not Handcuffs Angel Training, 6:30 – 8:30 pm 1150 S. Canton Center Rd. Canton, MI.
Wednesday February 6, 2019
6 – 8 pm
2019 Meeting Schedule
Jan 9 9-11 am
Feb 6 6 – 8 pm
Mar 6 9 – 11 am
Apr 3 6 – 8 pm
May 1 9 – 11 am
June 5 6 – 8 pm
July no meeting
Aug 7 6 – 8 pm
Sept 4 9 – 11 am
Oct 2 6 – 8 pm
Nov 6 9 – 11 am
Dec 4 6 – 8 pm