January 2020 Meeting Minutes
Livonia Save Our Youth Coalition
General Meeting Minutes – January 08, 2020 – 9:00-10:30 a.m.
In attendance: Jerry Kwas, Karen Coleman, Neil Murawski, Patrick Stropes, John Cammarata, John Grzebik, Carmen Ramos
LSOY Staff: Karen Bonanno
Meeting Minutes Approval
Karen Coleman motioned to approve, John Grzebik seconded, unanimously approved
- Patrick Stropes, Program Manager, Rescue
Recovery, Peer Recovery Support Service, Court Liaison, Growth Works, Inc.
explained the Recovery Coach program – highlights:
- Recovery Coaches trained over 800 public safety officers & community members to use Narcan – results: 13.85% decrease overdose, 40.48% decrease overdose death
- Over 80 presentations to schools, community groups, conferences, private businesses
- Western Wayne Rescue Recovery, with St. Mary Mercy Livonia, work with patients who seek treatment, on call 7 days/week, 365/year, 1406 patients were asked if they want a recovery coach, over 90% accepted
- Peer coaches have made over 6,800 phone calls to patients.
- A recovery coach has a different roll than a sponsor
- Karen Coleman, Hegira Health, reported a First Responder Initiative in Wayne, Inkster, Northville, Dearborn, Hegira Health also started Medication Assisted Treatment at Livonia Counseling, Westland Counseling, Adult Outpatient Westland.
- Carmon Ramos reported Family Night Out, also an ongoing parenting class.
Ongoing Planning Reviewed – Karen Bonanno reported
- Addiction: What you need to know and what you can do – December participants: 20
- The 2008 Family Resource Guide is in the process of being updated
- Run 2 Save Our Youth is June 6, 2020, a new race timer has been hired, run administration is under review, registration will open mid-January
New Business Reviewed – Karen Bonanno reported
LSOY hiring program coordinator – job posting available, handout about research connecting danger of marijuana to youth, DWIHN providers meeting, SHS and Clarenceville SADD, Synar, Tobacco-Free Coalition meeting, Wild Game Dinner, Livonia Family Y, Livonia Chamber of Commerce, DWIHN Faith Based Initiative
Old Business – review on own time.
Next Meeting: February 5, 2020