June 2016 Meeting Minutes
Livonia Save Our Youth Coalition
Monthly Meeting Minutes
6-1-16 6:00 – 8:00 PM
In attendance: Kaleen Snowdon, David Schuit, Albert DeVic, Geri & Rich Holt, Katie Holt, Theresa Gutierrez, Karen Greenwood, Ron Warra, Mary Olex, Marsialle Arbuckle, Bob Douville, John Grzebik, Nancy Radzwion, Jerry Kwas, Karen Bonanno, Karla Truxall
Introductions: Carla from SPN – Suicide Prevention Network, SPN.com. DUO – Do Unto Others. Therese and Katie Holt spoke about their group from Wayne-Westland. They have activities for people with special needs. On July 9th they are having a run/walk and a Family Field Day. They have monthly outings/events for families.
Read over minutes. They were approved by Jerry and Meg.
- Brian Montes award will be presented at the run. This year’s recipient is David Schuitt. David’s senior project for Global Ed was ‘Global Heroin Epidemic’.
- There will be a board meeting on June 20th, 6-8 PM.
- There is no General Meeting in July.
- Progress continues to reinstate 501©3 status. Bob is working on this.
- We will be collaborating with CUYFD (Center for Urban Youth and Family Development) and DABO(Detroit Association of Black Organizations). We will be the fiduciary for their grant to run summer programs. Marsialle’s focus is on youth aging out of the foster care system. A majority of them end up in jail or on drugs. He wrote a book I Have a Story to Tell. He will run a summer program ‘Keeping it Real’. They recently opened an office here in Livonia.
Updates – Old Business
- Run To Save Our Youth is this Saturday – June 4th. We were given an outline of the event.
New Business & Events
- Passport to Safety will be on June 11th. Karen, David and Kaleen will run the LSOY component.
- Flyers were given out on upcoming events – Livonia Police Golf Outing and the Prostrate Cancer Survivors golf outing.
- Marijuana Community Awareness Education Planning; The LSOY Committee is trying to discern how to present the info on the proposal to legalize marijuana. The Proposal was included in our packet. June 9th is the next committee meeting. On June 10th there will be a meeting in Macomb County (a flyer was given on this).
- Substance Abuse: What you need to know and what you can do.
- There will be sessions the first 3 Tuesdays in June and August (not July). A flyer was given on this.
- Website information will be available at our next meeting in August.
- Community Reporting
- Jerry informed us that the Livonia Counseling Center will be moving to I-96 and Newburgh on June 28th.
- Nancy told us that MADD will have a walk on August 20th at the Rochester Hill Municipal Park.
Next Meeting is Wednesday, August 3 2016 6:00 – 8:00 PM