June 2017 Meeting Minutes
Livonia Save Our Youth Coalition
General Meeting Minutes
June 7, 2017
In attendance: Jerry Kwas, Meg Venn, Tom Venn, Jaki Jarois, John Grzebik, Michaeline Raczka, Sue Floyd, Karla Truxall, Jessica Christner, Liz Agius, Sadhna Ramanathan, Michele Bracey, Janae Collier-Green, Amanda Geraci
LSOY Staff: Karen Bonanno, Shari Davidek
- Jaki made the motion to approve the minutes from the May 2017 General Meeting after we corrected the spelling of her last name. John seconded the motion. The minutes were unanimously approved.
- Sadhna Ramanathan is a student at Albion College and a volunteer for the American Cancer Society. She presented about Gardasil, the HPV vaccination. She distributed a survey and other handouts. She is advocating for teens and young kids to get this series of vaccines to protect kids from cancer from Human Papillomavirus. Interesting discussion followed.
Updates – Old Business
- May 11th, Karen, Shari and Bob Douville attended the 2nd Opioid Abuse & Heroin Overdose Solutions Summit. It was hosted by DWMHA and we set up a vendor table as well as sat in on the sessions. Karen felt it “moved the needle” on the reality that the world of prevention and recovery is upside down and we need to take action.
- May 16th, Karen went to the St. Mary Mercy Livonia Recipient Rights Committee meeting. Karen is on the board.
- May 23rd was the last Passport to Safety meeting. Shari and Julianna attended and things are all set for June 17th.
- May 23rd also was the Livonia Marketing meeting. Shari represented us. Most of the meeting was spent introducing each organization and department representative! We talked about the presentations, videos and a booklet that are being created to promote Livonia and its history.
- May 26th, Shari went downtown to the Wayne County Tobacco Coalition meeting. There was a presentation about the rise in smoking cigarettes in Detroit, as well as vaping and hookah. We met in our small groups. LSOY is in the “Prevention” group. Another meeting is scheduled for July.
- May 30th Shari and Julianna attended the St. Mary Mercy Livonia Spring Symposium. Shari sat in on the Tall Cop discussion and was amazed at the amount of information! There is so much and things are constantly changing. Julianna attended the Human Trafficking discussion and was also blown away at how much is happening that we are innocently unaware of. We set up a vendor table and had a few visitors!
- Kroger pharmacy bag advertising. Karen had a bag to show everyone. She encouraged us to read the bag and also to read the enclosed drug info for your prescription.
- Addiction: What You Need to Know and What You Can Do –Runs first three Tuesdays of the month from September to May. We are on summer hiatus. We reached many parents of adult children. They are seeking information on how to help their child. Many returned for several months. The last meeting was very well attended…about 15 people.
- Med disposal drop box update – We have had one in the past at the Livonia Police Station that we paid $1,000 for. The box was moved to their basement when the lobby was under construction and hasn’t been put back. There is a committee that includes city officials and St. Mary staff to figure out where to have the drop box. Most police stations in the Metro and surrounding area have drop boxes. LPD is also concerned about the safety of the officers when they are disposing of the full box. LPD agreed to restore it for ONLY Livonia residents and only quarterly. The guidelines need to be revisited and revised. More discussion to come.
- Run 2 Save Our Youth – Sponsorship is stable, we have several donations for the tin can raffle, Jimmy Johns is set as well as the rest of the food and water, tents are starting to be set up, we have 180 people registered, hoping to get more last minute. We have a city team competition going, we will present the Brian Montes award to the Ladywood High School SADD group, the Mayor will be presenting a handmade quilt (by Jaki’s mom!) to Diane our founder. We have goodie backpacks for the kids, bright yellow safety vests for the volunteers, the shirts should be here Friday, we have an announcer and things are falling into place.
- The first Monday of the month if the Northwestern Wayne County FAN meeting at LifeChurch in Canton.
- Friday, June 9th from 4-8 pm we will have the early packet pick-up for the run at the LSOY office.
- Saturday, June 10th is the run!!! 6 am set-up, 7 am packet pick-up and registration, 8 am Kids’ Run, 8:30 the race begins, 10 am will be awards and medal presentations. Family Fun Fest is ongoing starting at 7 am.
- June 12th – presentation at Livonia Cares meeting
- August 12th – Brian Montes golf outing
Resources and Enclosures in Meeting Packet
- Meeting minutes from May 2017 General Meeting
- Local family support groups flyer
- City of Livonia Neighborhood Grant application