March 2019 Meeting Minutes
Livonia Save Our Youth Coalition
General Meeting Minutes
March 6, 2019
attendance: Jerry Kwas, Rich Isaacson,
Marty Heator, Ron Warra, Mary McKeen, Maria Mazer, Matina Fabian, Keisha Jones,
LSOY Staff: Karen Bonanno, Shari Davidek
Approve Meeting Minutes – Shari corrected the date of the January meeting from 2018 to 2019 Martina made the motion to approve the minutes. Rich seconded the motion. Unanimously approved.
- Board of Directors meeting was held on February 11.
- Upcoming site visit by DWMHA on March 15. The last visit was August 2018.
- Shari is coordinating the Pay Pal donation link on the website and Facebook with the web team.
Updates – Old Business
- Feb 5 – Recipient Rights Advisory Board @ St Mary Mercy Hospital
- Feb 5 – Creating a Culture of Health, Healthy Livonia
- Feb 9 – New volunteer interview
- Feb 21 – Resource table at Open House, New School High in Plymouth (Karen)
- Feb 22 – Board of Directors meeting, Livonia Chamber of Commerce (Karen)
- Feb 22 – Detroit Wayne Oakland Tobacco-Free Coalition meeting (Shari)
- Feb 25 – Board of Advisors Orientation @ YMCA (Karen)
- Feb 26 – Passport to Safety (Shari)
- Feb 27 – Opioids & Family, The Ken Daniels Story @ VisTaTech Center at Schoolcraft. Karen, Shari, Jerry Kwas, Kelly Younce, Caryn McCarthy-Epps and two students attended. Alpha USA graciously sponsored two tables in the name of the coalition.
- Addiction: What You Need to Know and What You Can Do – First three Tuesdays of each month during the school year (September through May) from 7 – 8:30 PM at St Mary Mercy Livonia. Flyer with information is available. January attendance was 15 and February attendance was 24.
- Narcan Training – 35 Livonia Police Reserves were trained on January 24 and 10 teachers were trained at New School High on Feb 26. Total trained to date: 120
- Run 2 Save Our Youth – Saturday, June 1, 2019. Registration is open and ongoing through www.raceentry.com as well as mail-in or drop-off. There are nine sponsors totaling $2,100, several raffle donations and four non-profits have signed up to have tables under the sponsor tent. There are seven people registered to run or walk.
- PSA project – working with two high school students to write, create and record public service announcements regarding recreational marijuana, vaping and underage drinking.
- Karen will be recording a podcast with Growth Works March 6. The topic is “Access to Care for Addicts.”
- March 7 – “Let’s Talk About Teen Vaping”, Dearborn High School with Cheryl Phillips from St Joe Mercy Health.
- March 9 & 10 – Prescription Drug Disposal at Livonia Police Department, flyer with details available.
- March 11 – Youth Ministry conversation at St. Colette
- March 13 – Mocktail Party at Schoolcraft College, 10 AM – 2 PM. Volunteer needed!
- March 13 – State of the City address
- March 21 – Provider Meeting at Detroit Wayne Mental Health Authority
- March 28 – CDS Foundation dinner
- April 10 – Forum for Employers in a World of Recreational Marijuana, 11:30 – 1 PM at Livonia Embassy Suites. $30, must register on Chamber of Commerce webpage.
- Western Wayne Rescue Recovery – Collaboration with St Mary Mercy, Growth Works and several local police departments. Trained volunteer recovery coaches are assigned to people seeking treatment.
- Angel Program through the Michigan State Police. Anyone seeking treatment can go to any MSP post to ask for help.
- NW Wayne County FAN – Families Against Narcotics – www.familiesagainst narcotics.org/northwest-wayne. This is a public forum for anyone to attend on the 1st Monday of each month. Flyer with more information available.
Wednesday April 3, 2019
6 – 8 pm
2019 Meeting Schedule
Apr 3 6 – 8 pm
May 1 9 – 11 am
June 5 6 – 8 pm
July no meeting
Aug 7 6 – 8 pm
Sept 4 9 – 11 am
Oct 2 6 – 8 pm
Nov 6 9 – 11 am
Dec 4 6 – 8 pm
Livonia City Hall Annex Conference Room
33000 Civic Center Drive, LivoniaContact Information Follow us on: