May 2016 Meeting Minutes
Livonia Save Our Youth Coalition
Monthly Meeting Minutes
May 4, 2016 – 9:00-11:00 a.m.
Meeting called to order by Karen at 9:10
April 2016 meeting minutes approved; motion by J. Grzebik, second by J. Kwas
Guest Speaker – Bonnie Hilberer, Hope 4 Healing Hearts. This Prison Support Group began when a family tragedy in 2006 prompted her to look for a group for her son-in-law to attend and found none. Based on her own experience leading a grief support group, she began this program. Challenges include raising awareness within the community. Karen indicated that LSOY can partner by printing and making their flyer available at events.
- Per K. Bonanno, David Schuit hired by LSOY as Administrative Assistant for summer 2016.
- DWMHA Site Visit occurred April 13 and went well. Most issues from 2015 resolved.
- A collaboration with LSOY has been proposed by the Center for Urban Youth & Family Development (CUYFD) and Detroit Association of Black Organizations (Dabo). They proposed that LSOY be the fiduciary for their summer grant, a total of $55,000, with LSOY benefiting by receiving 10%. This was presented to LOSY the last week of April, with the grant timeframe May 1-Sept 1. Bonanno and R. Douville, board treasurer, and David Schuit were present at the proposal meeting. The proposal will be presented to the LSOY Board of Directors, and clarification sought from K. Thomas at DWMHA.
- Bonanno participated in the following events:
- 05Apr – Screening and discussion of The Anonymous People at Madonna University
- 07Apr – Screening and discussion of The Anonymous People at Schoolcraft College
- 10Ap – Karen and D. Schuit provided resource table at LCRC Open House
- 13Apr – Karen, D. Schuit, D. Montes filmed interview for Celebrate Michigan, produced by film students at Madonna University. The segment will air Saturday, May 21 at 5:30 a.m. An email link will be provided by Madonna.
- 21Apr – Prescription Drug Misuse by High School Students, at Churchill High School, presented by two CVS pharmacists to school teachers, counselors and school assistance provider. The staff reported and asked advice regarding a recent uptick in student use and pressure to use of Xanax.
- Substance Abuse: What you need to know and what you can do; This community forum will continue during the summer in June and August, no July session will be held. The information is posted on the St. Mary Mercy Livonia website under the Community Health
- Marijuana Community Awareness
- 06May – Marijuana Awareness: K. Bonanno and N. Donahue will attend a state wide initiative meeting in Macomb County.
- 12May – meeting of the LSOY awareness planning committee, 6-7:30
- 19May – Free webinar: Preventing Youth Marijuana Use, information provided.
Meeting adjourned – 11:00
Minutes taken by Nancy Donahue
Submitted by Karen Bonanno