May 2017 Meeting Minutes
Livonia Save Our Youth Coalition
General Meeting Minutes
May 3, 2017
In attendance: Ron Warra, Jaki Jarvis, Lisa Sellinger, Amanda Geraci, Kacy Robinson, Kaleen Snowden
LSOY Staff: Karen Bonanno, Shari Davidek
Ron Warra made the motion to approve the minutes from the April 2017 General Meeting. Lisa Sellinger seconded the motion. The minutes were unanimously approved.
Coalition Update We have hired a summer intern! Julianna Baird started doing volunteer work for us two months ago and she fits very well our mission. She is a student studying social work and she plans to focus on substance abuse. She has great social and speaking skills as well as administrative skills.
- DWMHA site visit went very well. There were a few things that we need to correct, but we have one year to fix them and they were very minor.
- We have a new logo! Maria Gosur is a volunteer for LSOY and she does our graphic design. It was agreed that it was time to update. The new logo is circular and very versatile. The board overwhelmingly approved the new design. There will be one change…the word “Livonia” will be set at the top instead of being on the bottom as it is now.
Updates – Old Business
- Kirksey Rec Center Open House on April 9th – went well, but not well attended, only because it was a super nice day outside and it was the end of Spring Break, so many families were just arriving home from vacation. Worth the time to go.
- The Northwestern Wayne County FAN chapter was launched on April 10th. They had about 100 people and will continue to meet every first Monday of the month in Canton.
- Karen and Shari attended an Alcohol Awareness Week event at Ladywood High School on April 10th (daytime.) Karen spoke to the girls about having a plan if a friend overindulges and needs help. They shouldn’t be afraid to call 911. They gave us a donation after having a “Jeans Day”!!
- April 21st was an autism conference through DWMHA and Kelly Younce represented LSOY. She will have a report at the next meeting.
- Karen and Shari attended “Blessing in a Backpack” trivia fundraiser Friday April 28th. This is a donation based charity in Livonia to help at-risk children who are hungry. They use donations to fill backpacks of food for kids to take home on the weekend. They currently assist 400 kids, but there are upwards of 4,000 who need assistance.
- National Drug Take Back Day was Saturday, April 29th. Ron Warra reported that 30 % of intake was from out of city residents. It was held the same day as the city’s hazardous waste drop off. The police collected two small trash cans full of medications. Ron felt it was successful..
- Addiction: What You Need To Know and What You Can Do – Our community forum is coming to a close for the summer. We have two more Tuesday sessions then we will break until September. It has been well attended the last few weeks. We will start promoting it harder in August to increase awareness and participation. Brian Spitsbergen is our facilitator and just received his PhD last week!
- Marijuana Community Awareness Education – we have a committee and we need to meet to design a survey to ask the community what they know about marijuana. Recreational marijuana is supposed to be on the ballot in November 2018. This committee will create an awareness campaign regarding marijuana use so people can make an informed choice when they vote.
- Run 2 Save Our Youth 2017 – Sponsors, donations and runners are coming in! We are promoting the race in many places including magazines, websites and community calendars. We need more runners!!!
- The NW Wayne FAN Meetings are scheduled for the 1st Monday of each month in Canton. Everyone is welcome.
- May 11th is the 2nd Opioid Abuse and Heroin Overdose Solutions Summit at Burton Manor. Hosted by DWMHA. Shari and Karen will both attend and we will have a resource table set up.
- Also on May 11th is the Livonia Business Expo at Laurel Park Mall through the Livonia Chamber of Commerce. We are looking for someone to man our table at this event as Shari and Karen will be at the Opioid Conference.
- May 13th is Wayne County Commissioner Terry Marecki’s Park Clean Up Day.
- May 18th is the United to face Addiction Rally at the Capitol Building in Lansing.
- The Livonia AM Rotary is hosting the Communiy Carnival May 25th – June 4th in the former Livonia Mall parking lot at Seven Mile and Middlebelt.
- May 30th is the Spring Symposium at St. Mary featuring Tall Cop and a discussion on Human Trafficking.
- Passport to Safety is scheduled for Saturday, June 17th. Karen and Shari will be participating again in the poison/choking booth.
- The Brian Montes annual golf outing is August 12th at the Woodlands in Wayne. Flyer with information is included.
- Jaki’s mother made a beautiful quilt out of our race t-shirts! We are trying to decide where we want to put it…hopefully somewhere in the office and we would like to display it at the run, weather permitting. We will come up with a special thank you for Jaki’s mom!
Resources and Enclosures in Meeting Packet
- Meeting minutes from April 2017 General Meeting
- FAN informational flyer
- Livonia Chamber of Commerce Business Expo flyer
- Park Clean Up Day flyer
- Livonia AM Rotary Community Carnival flyer
- Mary’s Spring Symposium flyer
- Passport to Safety flyer
- Brian Montes golf outing flyer
- Blessings in a Backpack Cereal drive flyer
- Don’t Run Call 911 Good Samaritan flyer
- Human Trafficking Resource Center flyer
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center card