May 2018 Meeting Minutes
Livonia Save Our Youth Coalition
General Meeting Minutes
May 2, 2018
In attendance: Jerry Kwas, Josh Griffith, Mark Wilkes, Billy Keppen, John Grziebik, Debra Dahl
LSOY Staff: Karen Bonanno, Shari Davidek
Meeting Minutes: Jerry made the motion to approve the minutes from April. Billy seconded the motion. Passed unanimously.
- Active Shooter Training – Karen and Shari attended this two-hour session hosted by the Livonia Chamber and Livonia Police Department. Very informative and eye-opening. We are considering rearranging our office so that our desks are not visible from the hallway and we toured the zoning/building department down the hall to find exits and hiding places in the event an active shooter enters our building. We also have the phone number of the police officer who guards City Hall.
Updates – Old Business
- April 13- 4H Microsoft Project – This is a three-year project with a grant to create an app for substance abuse resources. We were connected through a student who attended the opioid presentation at the Livonia Career Tech Center.
- April 17 – Karen attended the CDS Foundation dinner and was presented with a $5,000 donation for the Coalition!
- April 17 – Karen and Shari met with Mark Wilkes, a K9 trainer for law enforcement, hospitals, security and general obedience. Mark also attended the meeting today with Murray, one of his trainees. He explained what the dogs do and what they look for (drugs or explosives.) He will be joining us as a sponsor for the run.
- April 19 – Vaping 101 at Riley Upper Elementary School. Cheryl Phillips from St. Joe Mercy Hospital facilitated. There were about 70 parents, students and teachers (even from other districts) in attendance. Ron Warra, our police liason, brought the School resource Officers from each LPS high school and Sheryl Archibald and Dan Willenborg from Central Office were also there to answer any questions.
- April 26 – Karen presented Vaping & Opioid Awareness to three classes at New School High.
- April 28 – Vaping 101 at Madonna University. Lower attendance, about 40 people, many students. Several parents who attended the session on April 19th, came back with their kids.
- Addiction: What You Need to Know and What You Can Do – There are two sessions left in May and then we take a break for the summer. Karen and Brian are going to draft a proposal for the local courts to require kids in trouble with drugs and addiction to attend our series. There were 11 participants during the month of May, but seven attended the first May session.
- Marijuana Awareness Campaign Committee
- Wayne State’s survey on perceptions and awareness survey on addiction, drug use and recovery and treatment will be ready by this Friday. Will be sent out via email and social media.
- As of Thursday, April 26, the legalization of recreational marijuana will be on the November 2018 ballot in Michigan.
- June 1st, Macomb County will hold a marijuana awareness event. Flyer included in packet.
- Run 2 Save Our Youth
- Registrations are slow coming in but should pick up as the event gets closer.
- We have 13 sponsors totaling $3,000, about 15 non-profit vendors, several raffle donations.
- We have contacted several new organizations we haven’t worked with about volunteers and so far we are doing well getting people to participate!
- Hoping to get more city employees and teams to sign up.
- June 1st is early packet pick-up from noon until 8 pm. June 2nd is the run!!!
- May 6 – Rec Center open house, noon – 4:00 pm, Shari will have a resource table.
- May 7 – NW Wayne FAN public forum, Judicial Panel, 6:30 – 8:30, LifeChurch, Canton.
- May 9 – Livonia Public Schools is holding a parent resource night at Stevenson High School from 6:30 – 8:30. Shari will have a resource table.
- May 10 – Livonia Chamber of Commerce Spring Expo at Laurel Park from 9:30 – 4:30. Shari will have a resource table.
- May 12 – Park Clean-Up day 9:00 – 11:00, Cass Benton Pavilion
- May 17 – Unite to Face Addiction Michigan Rally, 10:00 – 4:00 at the Michigan State Capitol.
- May 23 – DWMHA Opioid Abuse and Heroin Overdose Solutions Summit, 7:30 – 4:00, Burton Manor. Shari will have a resource table.
- Tobacco Quitline poster distributed with tear-off phone numbers for help.
- Prison Support Group – meets twice a month, flyer included in packet.
- NWW FAN peer support group – support group for family and friends of those who are abusing narcotics. Flyer included.
Next Meeting June 6, 2018
6 – 8 pm
Livonia City Hall Annex Conference Room