November 2016 Meeting Minutes
Livonia Save Our Youth Coalition
Monthly Meeting Minutes
November 2, 2016 – 9:00-11:00 a.m.
In attendance: Karen Bonanno, , Nancy Donahue, Karla Truxall, Natalie Reeves, Lori Toia
Nancy Donahue moved to approve October meeting minutes. Lori Toia second. Motion passed unanimously.
Long, meaningful introduction conversation
- Board meeting TBA due to scheduling of fall activities.
- Karen has spoken with directors of Passport to Safety and Relay for Life to be certain the 2017 for Run 2 Save Our Youth does not compete with their dates.
- LSOY Grant approved by DWMHA for FY2016-17.
- Fall Activities
- School Open Houses: Karen has started tracking the number of resources brought to events and number distributed.
- Ladywood Bonfire, Stevenson & Clarenceville Homecoming Tailgates successful
- Wellness Fair, Schoolcraft College – focus on LGBT students; resources available, specific to those transitioning
- Tall Cop Says Stop event – 40-50 in attendance, notes will be shared
- Our education series (Substance Abuse: What you need to know and what you can do) continues at St. Mary’s hospital on the 1st three Tuesdays of the month, October attendance: 17
- Marijuana Community Awareness/Education is still pending.
- Is that a Drug House flyer being updated, will be included in Fall Newsletter, which will be shared via e=mail blast at high schools
- Karen invited to help plan opioid conference in Spring 2017 to be held in Washtenaw County
- Michigan Good Samaritan Law new as of October 2016 – protection for those dealing with a person who is overdosing
- Annual Burning Issues Conference sponsored by Michigan Prevention Association – LSOY members may attend on behalf of the coalition
Next Meeting is Wednesday, December 6, 2016 6:00-8:00 p.m.