September 2017 Meeting Minutes
Livonia Save Our Youth Coalition
General Meeting Minutes
September 6, 2017
In attendance: Sue Floyd, Liz Agius, Kim Rowe, Dr. Linda, Marceille Arbuckle Jr., Barb Carey, Bob Douville, Karla Truxall
LSOY Staff: Karen Bonanno, Shari Davidek
- Liz made the motion to approve the minutes from the June 2017 General Meeting. Sue seconded the motion. The minutes were unanimously approved.
- Maria Goser has designed our new logo! It’s similar to the current one, but updated and fresh! We will meet with her this week to go over the progress and our hope is to unveil it in January 2018!
- Our run financials are finished. The raffle did well, we had many sponsors and the Livonia Police Department helped us out with funds and volunteers. We had 233 runners and hope for more next year! June is a very busy month so it’s hard for families to get to the run. Next year we will focus on preschoolers and young families.
- Karen took her prevention specialist certification. She was just short of passing, but she has some ideas on how to study more efficiently. She was also very busy with her coalition duties so next time Shari will help her more so she has more time to study! This certification is part of our grant guidelines from DWMHA.
Updates – Old Business
- August 1st – Michigan Prevention Association Advocacy Meeting. Karen called in via conference call. They talked about recreational marijuana being on the November 2018 ballot. The group would like to educate the communities about marijuana.
- August 7th – Karen and Shari attended the DWMHA Faith-Based conference at Burton Manor. Karen attended the ministry workshop in the morning while Shari attended the LGBTQ training. They both attended the drug trends workshop in the afternoon and the speaker was good but some of the material was a bit outdated.
- August 7th – FAN Meeting NW Wayne County – Drug Addiction: What Is It & Why Is Recovery So Difficult
- August 9th – The Livonia City Council voted NO on a request to open a medical marijuana business in Livonia.
- August 12th – Karen and Shari attended the lunch at the Brian Montes Golf Outing (Karen’s husband, son and brother-in-law golfed and came in 1st place!) It was a great event and Karen and Shari both won a lot from the auction!
- August 16th – Meet the Team Night was at Franklin High School for all three LPS high schools. We set up a table and presented our new flyer regarding some pain meds being opioids and athletes using these for injuries. Dr. Linda joined us with her own display and materials regarding alternate pain relief methods.
- August 22nd – Recipient Rights Committee Meeting at St. Mary Mercy Livonia.
- August 24th – Karen and Juliana attended the Wayne County Back to School Event. They were out of materials after about two hours! There were 100’s of kids there! We always appreciate the invite to that event!
- August 25th – Shari attended the Wayne County Tobacco Coalition Meeting. There are several break-out committees in this group and we are part of the prevention committee. Within the next year there will be several projects to promote awareness and prevention.
- August 26th – LSOY was a Walk like MADD sponsor this year.
- We have several Livonia middle school and high school open houses in September. We set up a table to distribute our resources and to answer questions about LSOY. We need several volunteers to help us man these tables as several are on the same night.
- We are back at St. Mary Mercy Livonia on Tuesday nights (first three Tuesdays of the month, September through May) for Addiction: What You Need to Know and What You Can Do. There were nine people in attendance for the first one on September 5th. We have sent about 350 flyers to churches, schools and local therapists to let them know about our education series.
- LPD has put out their 2017/2018 schedule for prescription drug disposal days. The first one is September 9/10. A flyer was distributed in the meeting packet.
- September 18th – There will be a Marijuana Awareness Campaign Committee meeting from 9 – noon in Lansing. Flyer was distributed in the meeting packet.
- September 8th – Wraparound Community Meeting 2017/2018 Schedule through Hegira (included in meeting packet)
- September 9th – Celebrate Recovery Walk and Rally at Belle Isle. Visit michigancelebraterecovery.com for more information.
- September 10th – Dawn Farm Jamboree (see enclosed flyer)
- September 11th – Navigating the Addiction Treatment Maze, NW Wayne FAN group, 6:30 in Canton at LifeChurch (flyer enclosed)
- September 17th – Old Fashioned Corn Roast in Livonia, all are welcome. (flyer enclosed)
- September 20/21st – Schooldaze at Schoolcraft College, Livonia 10 am – 2 pm (LSOY will have a table set up both days…flyer enclosed)
- September 25th – Drugs 101 at Celebration Lutheran Church in Westland 6:30 – 8:30 pm. (flyer enclosed)
- October 4th – Community Town Hall – RX & Heroin – sponsored by DWMHA at Schoolcraft College 6 – 8 pm. Please note that the regular time and date for our general meeting has been changed so that we can attend this town hall. Karen will be a panelist at this event!
- September is Suicide Prevention Awareness Month. Karla Truxall of SPN Survivors passed out postcard flyers for #YouMatterDay on September 28th. #YouMatterWeek is September 23-30th. Visit SPNsurvivors.org for more information. Also, Karla will share the story of #YouMatterDay on September 27th at the Livonia Civic Center Library at 6:30 pm.
- Sue Floyd from the Livonia Elks Drug Awareness Programs had an event to share. There is a “Butcher Block Bingo” fundraiser on Saturday September 16th. Flyers were distributed.
- Bob brought an Ann Arbor News article to share about Michigan and opioid prescriptions.