March 2018 Meeting Minutes
Livonia Save Our Youth Coalition
General Meeting Minutes
March 7, 2018
In attendance: Kelsey Cary, Kaleen Snowden, Marseille Arbuckle Jr., Billy Keppen, Rich Isaacson, Jim Vroomen, Meg Venn, Amanda Droste
LSOY Staff: Karen Bonanno, Shari Davidek
- Healthy Livonia – This is a collaboration with St. Mary Mercy Livonia, Chamber of Commerce, Livonia City Council, the City of Livonia, the Livonia Rec Center and Livonia Public Schools. It is very new, but the mission is to “Energize a community-wide focus on healthy living in Livonia.” LSOY will be involved in the near future.
- New LSOY logo – Our logo is being updated and will be unveiled soon! Maria Gosur has been working on this and a re-branding project for us as well as the website, which will also be revealed soon.
Updates – Old Business
- Crime Victim’s Rights Week T-Shirt Contest – MADD, Equality Michigan, Angel House and LSOY sponsored. Ends March 15th and encompasses the state of Michigan. Flyer included in packet.
- Michigan Prevention Association Meeting in Lansing – Shari attended. Scott Greenlee from Healthy and Productive Michigan was the guest speaker to discuss the marketing strategies for providing information regarding recreational marijuana and the possibility of it being on the November 2018 ballot.
- Opioids: What Are They? – Two Livonia Career Tech Center students have worked closely with Karen on an opioid awareness project and they have taken it several places! They presented at Stevenson High School in December to all of the 10th grade health students, they had three presentations at LCTC on February 8th, they had resource tables at a Stevenson varsity basketball game and a Stevenson vs Churchill hockey game at Eddie Edgar arena and they also were interviewed by WWJ 950 AM and were featured on Making the Grade.
- Open House resource table at New School High in Plymouth – Shari attended and spoke with several parents and students.
- New School High SADD group – Juliana and Shari went to the kick-off of the group. The students had a lot of questions and would like to partner with us on several projects.
- Meg & Tom Venn went to Lobby Day in Lansing for MADD. Lobbying for having breathalyzers installed in the cars of convicted drunk drivers. The argument against was how to pay for it (cost is $1800.)
- Community Health Needs Assessment planning group – Karen is part of this committee through St. Mary Mercy Livonia. Four areas of concern were identified by the recent survey – substance abuse, access to health care, nutrition and lack of physical activity. This work group is working to create solutions.
- Addiction: What You Need to Know and What You Can Do is the series presented the first three Tuesdays of each month from 7 – 8:30 PM at St. Mary Mercy Livonia. Brian Spitsbergen is the facilitator (Karen fills in when he can’t be there.) This series has been advertised in the Livonia Observer, we have sent the information to hundreds of churches, therapists and psychologists, we are working to get it on the Livonia cable channel and Facebook. The flyer is included with your packet.
- Marijuana Awareness Campaign Committee – the last meeting was held Monday, March 5th, the next meeting is April 23rd. Resources were shared which are also included in the meeting packet.
- Wayne State University has created a survey regarding marijuana and opioids and they have shared it with LSOY. It will be distributed via email (with a link) and Facebook (also a link) to the Livonia Community.
- Run 2 Save Our Youth is set for Saturday, June 2nd. The next planning meeting will be March 13th at 2:00 PM. The Active.com website is up and running and we have two registered participants. All sponsor letters were sent last week and so far we have gotten back a $500 sponsorship and donations of bottled water and bananas!
- The latest issue of the LSOY newsletter is included in the packet.
- Karen will be interviewed at Channel 7 (Scripps) regarding Alcohol Awareness week. It will be included in a public service announcement to be aired at a later date.
- Another CNHA meeting will be Thursday, March 8th. Karen will be attending.
- The next prescription drug disposal at the Livonia Police Department will be this weekend, March 10th and 11th. Flyer is included.
- Schoolcraft will be having their “Mocktail Party” on March 14th. Shari will be there to set up a resource table. This event is to help promote NOT drinking on St. Patrick’s Day. They have games, popcorn, non-alcoholic drinks and a “drunk” simulation with special goggles.
- New School High is having a parent night and Karen will be setting up a resource table. Kelsey, a new volunteer who came to us from Susan Spolsky at Schoolcraft College, will attend with her.
- Karen will be on a panel at Schoolcraft College on March 22nd regarding opioids.
- SPN Survivors is hosting a volleyball fundraiser called “Queen of the Court.” Flyer included.